Saturday, July 22, 2006

Oh! And...

On the theme of self adulation, it would be extremely remiss of me not to mention that last week, I actually uncovered my (very) dusty 'art-n-craft' genes!

It was mummy's birthday on Thursday and since I just couldn't think of a way to make it special, I thought I'd make a card. And that's SOMETHING when you're talking about me :)

All my art grades at school were a reflection of which relative happened to be in town at that particular point in time. I love having relatives over. You get tons of presents, lots of outings, you can play cards till 2 in the morning and no one says a thing. And, best of all, they're too sweet to say no to doing my school craft assignments!!!
Hmmm...I suppose my teachers were a little puzzled at how wildly my grades swung too. ;)

So anyway - I decided to make a card. I Very Cleverly set my sights low.
It was to be a card that resembled something a 3rd grader would make.

In the world of high art, that would fetch big bucks under some psychological theory of the artist capturing the spirit of his 'inner child' or some such crap.
Being the true artist that I am, this sort of reaching-to-the-depths-of-my-soul thing comes naturally.

:-D

Then came the moment of visualisation - I decided on a scenery (bravo - how original). I had lots of coloured chart paper lying around so I made use of that and set about cutting the main card, the grass and flowers and things. And then people at work (Krish and Rahul) oh-so-sweetly helped me with the smiley sun and the butterflies! It was brilliant! We stuck all of it on, and then decorated it with glitter and then I wrote a pome inside on how 'Mummy was very Funny'. Literary genius - I assure you.

And you know what - she loved it!!!!

I was so thrilled! My bro added in some stuff and everyone at home signed it and it was all just perfect! But you know what the best part was? Mummy wrote me an email the next day, and here's one of the things she said:

ps - tell me the truth - who made the card, esp the greens and the flowers?

I have no words to express my utter satisfaction with this. She couldn't have put it better if she'd tried.......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always knew you were in the wrong profession...
Stand up and take charge. Let our generation have its own picasso - gautam

Kausum said...

Nice Post. Just dropped by to say 'Hi'

chimera said...

Thanks Gautam, I'm definitely seriously considering your suggestion at this point :D

Hey Kausum, what's up with u dude? How's life? Nice of you to drop by!